In one sense, nursing homes are places where older individuals can live, thrive, and receive the support and help they need. In another sense, nursing homes are businesses that have a contractual obligation to take care of residents and keep them safe from preventable harm. When they fail to uphold their duty of care, nursing home facilities can be held accountable for any harm they cause and are liable for the damages victims and families suffer. Contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Kuhlman & Lucas, LLC about filing claims for nursing home abuse or neglect in Kansas City.
When it comes to nursing home abuse and neglect, there are many different situations, accidents, and forms of negligence that can cause harm. A few examples of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Physical, emotional, or sexual abuse
- Financial exploitation
- Nursing errors, including medical malpractice and prescription medication errors
- Neglect, including neglecting basic needs and hygiene
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Premesis liability issues, including slip and fall accidents
- Abuse or neglect that results in wrongful death
All forms of nursing home abuse and neglect can be devastating, especially when victims are in vulnerable states of health. While some forms of abuse and neglect may be criminal offenses, victims and families who wish to recover compensation will be required to pursue legal action by filing a personal injury claim in a civil court.
By filing a nursing home abuse or elder abuse claim, victims and families can work toward holding nursing home employees or assisted living facilities responsible for their negligence or misconduct. Given the fact that nursing homes are commercial businesses, these claims are often challenged by companies and insurance providers that care only about protecting their bottom line.
At Kuhlman & Lucas, LLC, our Kansas City nursing home abuse lawyers focus on providing our sincere support and aggressive representation at all times during the legal process. We are capable of handling all legal aspects of filing claims for nursing home abuse or neglect in Kansas City on our clients’ behalves and work toward establishing fault and liability by focusing on the following personal injury legal elements:
- A nursing home or assisted living facility owed a resident a duty to provide care and to keep them free from preventable harm.
- The nursing home or assisted living facility failed to uphold their duty to provide a reasonable standard of care.
- This failure to uphold their duty caused a victim to endure preventable harm, including physical or emotional injuries or illnesses.
- The victim suffered physical, emotional, and / or financial damages as a result.
By establishing these legal elements, the legal team at Kuhlman & Lucas, LLC can begin fighting to ensure that victims and their loved one secure the financial compensation they rightfully deserve. As these claims are difficult and unique and as they require careful attention, we strongly encourage local residents to bring their case to the attention of a Kansas City nursing home abuse attorney and file claims for nursing home abuse or neglect in Kansas City as soon as possible. Since 2004, our firm has recovered more than $50 million in compensation for our clients.
Learn more about your rights and how our firm can help with filing claims for nursing home abuse or neglect in Kansas City by completing a free consultation form or by calling (816) 799-0330. We serve clients throughout Kansas City and the surrounding communities of Missouri.